Wednesday, January 30, 2008

To say that life is sometimes confusing and unpredictable is an understatement, especially in the light of what we've been through these past several years. But it's equally easy to say that the way the Lord has provided for us spiritually, mentally, and physically is also pretty amazing. Even as we face a very uncertain future, we can be confident that the Lord with be with us. The Lord is good and His name is to be praised.

At our community group someone shared this prayer by Thomas Merton with the group and it pretty much sums up our lives (my husbands and mine) and I thought it was worth sharing.

Thomas Merton's Prayer


MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"

2 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, February 01, 2008 , Blogger Courtney Patch said...

Thank you for sharing this. I feel like it speaks to a lot of things on my heart and mind lately.

 
At 6:05 AM, February 10, 2008 , Blogger angela said...

hey...i gotta subscribe to you. i don't know it for two weeks when you've posted! thanks for sharing your wise thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home