Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Weather's changing


Today is my day off from work and I usually take a long walk with the dog, but today it's kinda drizzly and cool and to be honest, I really didn't feel like taking a long walk. However, on the short walk I did take, I found much pleasure in the cool air and the sight of all the leaves covering the sidewalk and lawns. We've had a day or two cooler weather as the change of season has begun and it's felt a bit like autumn, but today it looks like autumn. There were a places, as I was walking, where there were golden and orange leaves all around me, like a tunnel of color. It was really beautiful, and it made me want to come home and make a pot of soup or bake some bread. So soup it is, and one of our favorites is a creamy broccoli cheddar soup that is very tasty and easy to make.

I first came upon the recipe in a cookbook called "Healthy Homestyle Cooking", but as with most recipes I use, I've tweaked it just a little bit to suit my family's tastes. So here's my "tweaked" version of Cream of Broccoli Soup.

Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup

6 Cups Chopped fresh or frozen broccoli pieces
3 Cups Chicken broth
2 Cups Evaporated Milk
2-3 Cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
1/4 Cup Cornstarch
1 Tsp. Thyme
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, cook broccoli in chicken broth until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Using a food processor or blender, puree broccoli and chicken broth together and return it to the sauce pan. Add the Thyme.
Mix the cornstarch with 1/2 cup of evaporated milk and stir into broccoli mixture. Cook and stir mixture until bubbly and thickened then slowly add the remaining evaporated milk. Add cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to desired taste. Makes about 4 servings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home